Here is some information on dental health and older Americans, courtesty of Town Dental Group in Mint Hill.
The Good News:
The rate of cavities in the elderly has decreased in the past thirty years.
The Bad News:
- 25% of persons age 65+ have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated tooth decay
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What essential factors will improve the oral health of age 65+ Americans? The National Institutes of Health cite three necessary components:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care1
At Town Dental Group in Mint Hill, we are committed to providing all of our patients with comprehensive oral health education and attentive care. Services include general and cosmetic dentistry. We offer extended evening and weekend hours for your convenience. Call us to schedule your next appointment today!
Contact Town Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):